The Atlantic hurricane season is a time when most tropical cyclones are expected to develop across the northern Atlantic Ocean. It is currently defined as the time frame from June 1 through November 30.
- 1. Early evacuation is a MUST - use a hurricane planning map or guide, listen to the radio and refer to the emergency text messages that are pushed out to your smart phone / mobile devices to ascertain the best evacuation route.
- 2. Pack adequate supplies - like flashlights with extra batteries, 2 or more first-aid kits, enough cash / credit cards, plenty of snacks (especially if you have young kids and teenagers) as well as additional foods. Don't forget to bring along your medications!
- 3. Take important documents with you - seal in a waterproof bag or if you leave them put them in a flood proof safe.
- 4. Back up computer files - to a hard drive or to the cloud (using one of the many cloud services that are available) .This ensures that you have access to your files in case your computer is destroyed.
- 5.Look over your insurance policy for your home or business and determine that you know what is or is not covered. Remember that your homeowners' policy does not cover flood. You can contact your insurance agent for a quote.